Goals. Non-Goals. Resolutions. I admit they STRESS me out! While I am a huge goal setter, I like immediate gratification, so I often don’t begin working on a goal unless I can see the results either in my mind or through an inspired vision. As a result, I took on my goals for 2013 with a shortcut in mind:
Instead of calling them goals, I recently sat down and just wrote out a list of things I love or want to do this year.
1. Organize my home again – clean out the closets, pantry, garage, cabinets….all those places that clutter is hidden in an otherwise beautifully decorated space.
2. Vacation – I didn’t take one last year. Not a formal one at least and I felt it. This year, I have already planned one for our family and we are counting down the days! More importantly, I am planning a vacation with Mr. M – alone…no kids, no work, just us. Every marriage needs time away and we always return from vacation more connected and relaxed.
3. Workout – I began to move my muscles again in September after a change in our children’s school meant I had more time in the mornings to get back to the routine I had in my 20’s. It’s been awesome and now it’s written on my calendar, not just in my head. Mr. M did the same over 9 months ago and he is feeling and looking awesome! Heck, he’s the one who motivated me and he bought me a gym membership to reward my changes. YAY!
4. Self-Care – Now everyone that knows me well, knows that I have standing appointments for my hair and aesthetician that are booked for a full year in advance. There are no excuses that prevent me from attending those appointments….EVER! But this year I am adding massage and regular manicures and pedicures. It’s not that those things didn’t happen before, but is more that I have planned for them much more regularly so they don’t get pushed to the bottom of the list.
5. Travel – I travel at least once a month for work, but often I don’t take advantage of what those cities have to offer. I am resolved to be “in the moment” and fully experience everything thing I can when I am on the road. You will hear about it here on the blog too, just to keep me honest.
6. Focused Time with my Kids – I am resolved to have lunch or a movie date (or both) with each of my children once a month. This will be independent and separate time. I started last month with my son and while he doesn’t like that I called it a “date”, he did hold my hand during the movie. I was floating for days afterward!!
7. Business Planning – I am glad to say that I have scheduled monthly meetings with my accountant so that we can properly budget, adjust course when needed and proactively run my design business. We began this path in 2012 and are both so excited to see how our plan is already playing out.
8. Client Focus – I started having regular lunches with my clients and business assocaites last year and I love it! It gives me time to catch up with what’s going on in their lives and how I can be more than just their interior designer. It also fulfills me to a level that just designing for them doesn’t complete.
So there you go – my Goals for 2013 and I have shared them with the world…eek! Truly, it was hard getting to this point, but once I just wrote down what I loved doing and what was working, it really became quite simple. Try it….start writing out what you like about your life, what you want more of and what makes you happy and I promise, your goals will follow!