I am so excited to introduce Leslie Hassler from Luxury For The Home, who has such a great design firm and an even better market. She designs for men! I love that! Today she is sharing her tips on designing for the modern man and I know all you male readers out there are going to LOVE this post!
Leslie has offices in both Houston and Dallas (read: amazingly busy) and her Dallas office is just around the corner from mine. Funny how a great blog post from a fellow designer and blogger makes me think more about my business! Make sure you check out Leslie on her BLOG.
Hello all, as Denise has mentioned, we specialize in “Designing Beautiful and Practical Homes for the Modern Man”, and that applies to all men, whether they are single, married or recently divorced. When looking to Design on a Deadline for the Modern Man – here are our tips to live by when you want design, simple and done.
1. Good, Fast & Cheap, – Pick any two – well actually, just choose good and fast. Let’s do a little myth-busting….practical does not equal cheap. And to be honest, YOU don’t WANT cheap. YOU may THINK you want cheap, but right now, cheap generally can be equated to “will wear out, break down and fall apart within 2 years.” We don’t enjoy putting these objects in your home, because we know that they will not bring you any real happiness. So just think about all of the effort you are putting into your project and make it count.
See we really don’t do ugly….just sayin’.
2. If you’re gonna go – go BIG. That is, make a statement, take a risk. The thing that you will enjoy the most, the thing that your friends will “high-five” you over, will be taking the risks that everyone else is scared of. Choose something impactful like large-scale art, a piece of furniture or lamp that is over scaled, but balanced in the room. Often taking the risk, will also keep your space fresh and alive for quite some time; making the investment worth it.
This urban condo’s breakfast nook is casual enough for morning coffee or Saturday night Poker Night. Designed by Luxury For The Home, the art is bold, graphic and paired unexpectedly with the over scaled, arching floor lamp.
3. As AC/DC entranced you in your youth “Back In Black”, be glad to be back! Add a little black to bring in some drama. Black really helps anchor the room and ground the area in a sensual masculine way. Black is also a great tool to harness bright colors that may otherwise be perceived as too playful. Paired with tip #4 – you get a two-fer.
Black Leather Croc Coffee Table with German Silver. This piece is masculine, modern and stunning, but still welcomes you to enjoy a glass of scotch as you relax into your comfortable sofa.
4. Appeal to the Ladies – Yes, even your wife needs to be seduced and welcomed into the space. So always remember – “every girl needs a little sparkle.” Using masculine and modern cut crystal, mirrors or even faceted finishes, a little metallic can go a long way and add an interesting twist to your room. Or, find playful ways to marry something masculine and feminine.
This fixture from Swarovski, Crystal Empire, is masculine enough for you with finish choices named Grizzly Black, Chinook, and Iceberg, but so appealing for the woman in your life (with the mixture of stitched leather and finely cut crystal); she may be calling you Mr. Grey by the end of the evening.
5. Set the mood. Use the technology you have and make it better. Honestly, we all are living our lives by some playlists and collection of music that is on our iPhones, iPads, Tablets, Blackberrys, – set the mood right and make it enjoyable. If “in wall” speakers aren’t possible, look for sleek and modern ways to weave your technology together.
As Phillip Stark, designer of the Parrot, Zimku System states, “We were not aiming to create just another speaker,” says Starck. “Our design focused more on making the air vibrate. There is actually a three-dimensional feel to this vibration, meaning that the air is palpable, almost humanlike in presence, like a fragrance.” Oh, howdy! This system is operated with an RF remote and can integrate with your mobile or PC-based music library.
So master the art of compromise, sharpen your decision making skills, designing on a deadline can be fabulous and be done well. With these tips for Designing on a Deadline for The Modern Man, you’ll be setting the stage for many memorable evenings in your home.